Web Intro – Independent Technical Expert Review (ITER)
- Identify pitfalls
- Identify unnecessary costs
- Identify risks
- Identify less than optimal design solutions
- Validate cost
- Validate design approach
- Confirm major design decisions
- Increase confidence of major decisions
- Offer alternative solutions for problem areas
- Offer solutions to problems
- Offer expert second opinion on key decisions, solutions, problems
- Identify cost drivers
SVS has developed a highly efficient and effective approach to conducting project design reviews as an alternate approach to the conventional Independent Technical Reviews (ITR) or Peer Reviews that are often conducted as independent “desk reviews” by individuals who are at a comparable level of expertise as the design team. While it may be desirable to stack your design team with national and international level experts, that is just not practical or cost effective. The conventional ITRs and Peer Reviews can provide somewhat of a fresh and unbiased perspective to the project design, but many times these reviews are conducted by individuals from the same design firm providing only marginal independence and pulling knowledge from the same pool of project experience as the designers.
The SVS approach was developed to address what we have seen as limitations on the conventional design review strategies. Our approach includes four integral components:
- SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS. A multidisciplinary team of subject matter experts (SMEs) that are truly independent of the project development team. The independent team ensures you are getting a fresh and unbiased perspective on your project, so significant issues or opportunities do not get overlooked or dismissed. The independence also ensures your project benefits from not only the design team’s past experiences but the experiences from numerous other design firms and Owner agencies. Our SMEs will include design, construction, contracting, and operational expertise to ensure there is a holistic and comprehensive assessment of your project for the identification of potential issues that could alter or imped the successful outcome you desire. Additionally, our SMEs are selected based on their extensive and recognized expertise in their field, including nationally and internationally recognized experts to address key issues or concerns.
- WORKSHOP FORMAT. A unique aspect of our approach is that the review will be conducted in a workshop format. This ensures the team of SMEs are focused on your project and not distracted by other office activities or work priorities. This approach also increases the effectiveness of the review by ensuring there is direct interaction and synergy between the SMEs to build on and enhance the identification of issues and mitigating strategies. This will give you 10X results over the more conventional individual’s desk-review approaches.
- SVS PROPRIETARY PROCESS. Another unique aspect of our approach is our structured process that uses a work breakdown structure (WBS) we developed to ensure the team of SMEs focus on every aspect of the project design and delivery process to identify issues and risks related to project areas such as the design configuration, design criteria, operational objectives, technical specifications, frontend specifications, constructability, biddability, contracting, funding/financial strategies, and estimated construction cost.
- PROFESSIONAL FACILITATION. The catalyst that powers the three components discussed above is our highly experienced and trained professional facilitators. Our facilitators do more than passive facilitation of discussions; they are active team leaders that not only drive the workshop process but also direct the discussions. A unique qualification of our team leaders is that they all have engineering or other technical/scientific degrees and have spent their careers working on capital projects. Furthermore, most of our team leaders are registered professional engineers (PE) and hold other certifications such as certified value specialist (CVS®), risk management professional (PMI-RMP), project management professionals (PMI-PMP), certified professional facilitators (CPF), LEED professionals, and more. With this technical capability and extensive project experience, our team leaders are able to not only engage in technical discussions with out SMEs but are able to lead those discussions to ensure the team addresses the issues that are critical to achieving your desired outcomes for the project.